Some of the best audio recording software to record music provided in this article can help you save masterpieces with ease.
Technology is advancing by the day. More and more enhancements and innovations are being made for the betterment of different tasks. The multimedia industry has not been far away from advancements as well. New and better hardware and software are being introduced making it easy for the users to work, play, entertain and do a lot more. Nowadays, you can easily record anything you want like a podcast, interview, songs, videos, and much more without even going to a recording studio. All this has been made possible on Windows devices using the best free audio recording software.
These tools not only help you record conveniently but also allow you to save tons spent on music studios and related places. Hence, one can safely say that with the introduction of the best audio recorder software into the marketplace, recording and sharing content with others has become quite easy.
But how does one find such software for recording requirements? Don’t worry, we have you covered. With the help of this article, we bring forward the top best recording software there is. Using these, you can record, modify, and do a lot more on your Windows PC. However, before stepping forward, let us address some of your most obvious queries.
What is an Audio Recording Software?
Audio recording software is a software program that is used to record audio. You can record your voice or any other sound as well by using such sound recording software. These can be considered as the more advanced and digital versions of audio recorders that were used years ago. One does not require anything additional to edit the recorded audio, as modern sound recorders for PC and other devices come with audio editing features. You just require the best audio recorder software to record, edit and transfer your audio files. Now, as we are familiar with the term “Audio Recording Software”, let’s check its uses.
What does a sound recorder use for?
Unlike the traditional sound recorders that can only be used to record sounds, modern audio recording software of PC, smartphone, and other devices comes with multiple features. Here are some uses of these sound and music recording software.
- The first thing that you can do with the best free audio recording software is recording the sounds with ease.
- You can also record multiple sounds and tracks at once.
- After recording, one can also edit the audio files with these recording tools.
- Audios and music tracks can be mixed through these audio recording tools for PCs and other devices.
- You can use these tools as studio recording software.
- Audios, music tracks, and sounds can also be streamed with some streaming audio recorder software.
After being familiar with the uses of audio recording software, let’s have a look at some of the best free audio recording software.
Top 14 Audio Recorder Software Available in the Market
Here is a list of some best audio recorder software that you can use to record, edit, and transfer your audio files in 2022. The list contains a detailed analysis of all the below-mentioned products along with their features, pros, and cons as well.
The list starts with one of the most famous and accessible audio recording software. WavePad is a full-featured audio recording software, mostly used by the experts. It is developed by NCH software. It’s been claimed in 2016 that WavePad has over 18 million users.
- It has various audio effects such as amplify, normalize, equalize, echo, etc.
- WavePad allows you to put bookmarks while editing long audios.
- The audio recording software for PC is compatible with various plugins such as DirectX and VST.
- There is also a batch processing feature to edit multiple files quickly.
- The software has various sound editing features such as cut, copy, silence, delete, etc.
- This one of the best music recording software allows removing vocals from the music files.
- WavePad supports almost all audio formats.
- It is compatible with all major operating systems, including Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.
- It can also be used to create ringtones.
- The user interface is also quite simple.
- The free version of WavePad has all the basic features. Hence, it is quite suitable for amateurs.
- Most of the advanced features come in the paid version of the software. Hence, it cannot be considered among the best free audio recording software.
- The paid version of WavePad is also quite expensive.
Supported Platforms: Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS
2. Mixcraft 9
Here comes the software that is particularly designed for musicians. Mixcraft 9 can undoubtedly be considered as the best music recording software. The software is tailored by some expert musicians. Here are some features that make Mixcraft 9 special.
- The recording studio offers an intuitive user interface.
- Mixcraft 9 has a quite fast sound engine that enables the users to create amazing tracks with lightning speed.
- It has a loop library of around 7,500 professional loops, sound effects, and sample sounds of various percussion instruments.
- The music recording software allows you to create perfect MIDI patterns.
- Mixcraft 9 allows you to keep a check on multiple parameters of soundtracks. Hence, you can edit them better and create exceptional mixes.
- It can enhance the quality of your audio tracks.
- Along with audio, you can also edit videos by Mixcraft 9.
- Mixcraft 9 serves as a complete recording studio software. Hence, it also enables you to rip and burn audio files.
- The app only provides a free trial and don’t have any particular free version for amateurs. Hence, Mixcraft 9 gets eliminated from the list of some best free music recording software.
- Mixcraft 9 is only compatible with the latest version of Windows.
- The software requires a high system configuration with 8 GB RAM to function.
Supported Platforms: Windows 7, 8, and 10.
RecordPad is another audio recording software for your PC and other devices from NCH software (developers of WavePad). It is a suitable application to record audio messages, notes, announcements, etc.
- It has an Express Burn feature the burns recordings directly to the CDs.
- RecordPad allows you to record voices, sounds, notes, etc.
- The audio recorder directly saves recordings on the storage drive of your PC.
- It also has a voice-activated recording system.
- The software comes with a simple user interface.
- It is suitable for recording audios for presentation.
- The recording tool has hotkeys that provide control over recording while using other programs on your system.
- RecordPad allows its users to share recordings over mail or on an FTP server.
- It has very limited features and you are required to have WavePad to edit the recordings.
- RecordPad does not support many audio formats.
Supported Platforms: Windows (64 bit), macOS, Android, and iOS
4. Avid Pro Tools
Avid Pro Tools is the ideal windows sound recorder for musicians and podcasters. It has different versions for different users. Avid Pro Tools even provides a version for students allowing them to learn and create their music. Here are some salient features of the audio recording tool.
- Avid Pro Tools comes with three versions Pro Tools First, Pro Tools, and Pro Tools Ultimate.
- It is particularly designed for musicians and podcasters. Hence, it can be considered a suitable podcast recording software.
- Pro Tools Ultimate also provides video tracks.
- It also has a virtual mixer that shows components of the tracks.
- Pro Tools has a free version for the students and beginners titled as Pro Tools First. It provides ample features hence, it can be considered as the best free music recording software.
- All the paid versions of the software also provide a free trial version to the users.
- The updated versions of the tool are only compatible with the latest version of Windows and macOS i.e. Windows 10 & macOS 10.
- Plugins are very expensive.
Supported Platforms: Windows 10 and macOS 10
Also read: Best 11 Free Audio Sound Equalizer For Windows
5. Streaming Audio Recorder
Streaming Audio Recorder is a perfect solution if you are looking to record tracks from various online audio streaming sites and platforms. It is an efficient tool to search and record online streaming music. The software is developed by Apowersoft. Below mentioned are some features that the Streaming Audio Recorder possesses.
- The music recording software allows you to record online radio stations.
- You can record audio from your computer system and microphone simultaneously while using Streaming Audio Recorder.
- The audio recording program can recognize tags such as title, album, artist, genre, etc. automatically.
- It also provides various features to edit the recorded track.
- The tool allows you to burn audio tracks to CDs.
- It also lets you search and download songs.
- Streaming Audio Recorder also has an audio converter that helps in converting audio files to the desired file format.
- It doesn’t have any free version and provide a free trial for a very short time.
Supported Platforms: Windows, Android, and iOS
6. Adobe Audition
Here comes the product of a multimedia giant. Adobe has a wide range of software products contributing to the multimedia industry such as Adobe Photoshop, After Effects, etc. Adobe Audition is also one of the software of the multimedia giant. A professional audio workstation can be the best term to denote Adobe Audition. It offers a lot of features to its users.
- The audio recording software provides lots of free sound effects.
- It is designed by focusing on post-production work requirements.
- Adobe Audition is the best audio recorder software to record audio for movies, podcasts and music tracks.
- It is compatible with many plugins.
- The podcast recording software allows you to remove background noises from the audio.
- As it is backed by Adobe hence Adobe Audition supports editing in multiple formats.
- It can serve you way more than an audio recorder. As you can create your audio content with Adobe Audition.
- Adobe offers 24*7 technical support.
- The sound recording software is not free and you have to take a subscription to use it.
Supported Platforms: Windows 10 (64 bit), macOS 10.12 or higher
7. i-Sound Recorder 7
i-Sound Recorder 7 is the latest version of i-Sound Recorder. This one of the best audio recorder software has a lot of features to offer including, advanced scheduler, real-time compression, and direct recording. It is quite affordable and that’s one of the reasons why we have listed this tool on our list.
- This sound recorder for PC allows direct audio recording. As it uses the speakers of your device for recording audio.
- You can change the recording source from the speaker to any other recording device such as a microphone.
- It has a real-time compression feature that saves space on your device while recording and saving the audio.
- This windows sound recording software also has a voice-activated recording feature. It eliminates the background noises, silent pauses, etc. from your recorded audio.
- i-Sound Recorder 7 has an advanced scheduler that allows the users to schedule the recording time. The sound recorder software will automatically start recording at the scheduled time.
- The tool also helps you in managing your recordings with its recording manager.
- The user interface is quite intuitive.
- i-Sound Recorder records high-quality audio and saves it in FLAC format to save storage space of your device.
- It is quite affordable also as compared to its other competitors.
- You have to download add-ons additionally to edit your recorded audios.
- It only works on some latest version of Windows and doesn’t support other operating systems.
Supported Platforms: Windows 7, 8, and 10
Here comes another music recording software from NCH software (developers of WavePad). MixPad can be used to easily process and mix the audios or soundtracks. The sound mixing tool can help you with your audio production work. Here are some of the features that make MixPad a tool for professionals.
- This sound recording software can record single or multiple tracks simultaneously.
- MixPad has thousands of royalty-free effects and a music library with clips of hundreds of tracks.
- It has a beat designer by which you can create your customized beat.
- The windows sound recording software also provides a VST plugin.
- MixPad can also burn your soundtracks to a CD.
- MixPad can mix an unlimited number of music, sound, and voice tracks.
- It supports more audio formats compared to any other audio mixing and recording software.
- The mp3 recording software has some advanced audio effects including, EQ, compression, and reverb.
- It keeps your hard work safe as it supports cloud storage and uploads your work to SoundCloud, Dropbox, or Google Drive.
- MixPad supports sample rates up to 96kHz only.
- It can only export audios that are up to 32 bits.
Supported Platforms: Windows (64 bit), macOS 10.5 or higher, Android, and iOS
Also read: How to Recover Permanently Deleted Files in Windows
When we talk about the free pc audio recording software, the first name that comes to our mind is Audacity. If you are looking for a software to record the audio professionally on your Windows 10 PC, then it can serve you as one of the best free audio recording software for Windows 10. Audacity can record computer audio quite efficiently.
- Audacity allows you to record the audio through a microphone.
- The free pc audio recorder also allows you to import and edit the audio files.
- It also has a feature of batch processing.
- Audacity also allows you to edit multiple tracks simultaneously.
- It also supports the VST plugin.
- Audacity allows recording computer audio as well.
- Despite being a free music recording software, Audacity is ad-free.
- It has a quite intuitive user interface.
- Audacity has so many effects and hence, it allows its users to create professional sound recordings.
- The recording tool is compact yet effective.
- Some of the features of Audacity are not user friendly and quite hard to understand.
- It also has some problems with its noise reduction feature.
- The bugs that Audacity contains sometimes make the free pc audio recorder quite unstable.
Supported Platforms: Windows, macOS, Linux, and BSD
GarageBand can be considered a digital audio workstation for iOS and macOS users only. This free music recording software has been created by Apple. GarageBand, an iLife-inclusive software, has been created especially for all podcasters. Therefore, a lot of users use GarageBand as a podcast recording tool.
- It has virtual software instruments.
- GarageBand can record several audio tracks simultaneously.
- This best free music recording software for all kinds of iOS and/or macOS devices offers a lot of features to you. This includes simulated amplifiers as well as advanced stompboxes, for all kinds of Guitar-run tracks.
- With the help of the tool, you can easily record any audio using a MIDI or any regular keyboard.
- All virtual instruments on the tool are exceptional.
- The interface of this recording tool is quite straightforward.
- It also provides music lessons for guitar and piano.
- The software is developed by Apple and therefore works with iOS and macOS devices only.
Supported Platforms: iOS and macOS
Ardour is a free audio workstation that is designed in such a way that it can be used by amateurs and professionals both. It is an open-source free music recording software. It can be used to record, edit, and mix various audios, sounds, and music tracks. Ardour was initially released in 2005.
- It has a simple user interface.
- It has a self-monitoring feature that allows you to apply plugin effects while real-time recording.
- Ardour also has various editing features such as dragging, trimming, splitting and time-stretching.
- The recording studio software also allows its users to create their midi instruments.
- The best thing about Ardour is that it is an open-source music recording software.
- It has infinite undo and redo features.
- Ardour also allows you to snapshot a current state of a recording/editing session.
- As the recording tool has too many plugins hence sometimes it gets difficult to find an appropriate plugin.
Supported Platforms: Windows, macOS, Linux, and BSD
Ocenaudio is a free audio recorder for amateur musicians and podcasters. The software doesn’t offer many professional features like Audacity but, it is a decent sound recorder for PC to perform daily audio recording and editing work.
- Ocenaudio has an auto-trim feature.
- It also provides voice recording controls.
- The free PC audio recording software is based on Ocen Framework.
- It also allows users to record the screen.
- The user interface of Ocenaudio is quite clear.
- Unlike the previous ones Ocenaudio is not an open-source recording studio software.
Supported Platforms: Windows, macOS, and Linux
Spek is a free music recording software that comes with an acoustic spectrum analyzer. It can serve as a solution for problems that other audio recording software for PCs and other devices presents. Here are some salient features that the software offers to its users.
- The acoustic spectrum analyzer helps you to analyze the audio files with a spectrogram.
- Spec also presents the codec name and audio signal parameters.
- The sound recording software for PC provides multi-lingual support with 19 different languages.
- Spectrogram can be saved as an image file for future analyses.
- Spec supports most of the common audio formats.
- It offers a highly intuitive user interface.
- GPLv3 is outdated now and Spec is still licensed under it.
Supported Platforms: Windows, macOS, and Linux
14. Audio Hijack
Audio Hijack can be considered as the best free audio recording software for macOS as it can record audio from any of your installed software and applications. Rogue Amoeba Software are the developers of Audio Hijack. The sound recorder software possesses some unique features and that’s the reason why this made it to our list.
- Audio Hijack can record online streaming audio.
- It also has powerful features to record podcasts. Hence, it can also be considered as a good podcast recording software.
- The recorded audio can also be burned to CD.
- It can record all major audio formats.
- Audio Hijack can detect silence and stops recording automatically.
- The audio recorder software allows the users to listen to real-time audio while recording it. So that they’ll have an idea about the final recording.
- Audio Hijack is not compatible with many platforms.
Supported Platforms: macOS
We hope that the best audio recorder software provided above allowed you to get the one you wanted all along. As the requirements of different users differ, we have listed over 10 different products for you. This way, you can easily make an informed decision. If you are an amateur, then you should best free music recording software provided in the farther section of this write-up. For experts, you can consider purchasing a subscription to one of the mp3 recorder software for the best results.
Lastly, if you have any queries, seek our help via the comments section below. Don’t forget to subscribe to our blog before you move on.