These days, having sound on a computer or laptop is crucial. Thus, use the remedies offered in this text to resolve the issue if your Realtek (R) high-definition audio is not working.
Sound issues on PCs and laptops are unpleasant in the modern era of working from home and conducting meetings via services like Skype. Many other Windows 10 customers are experiencing the same problem as you have with their device not having sound. Sound drivers that are out-of-date, damaged, or missing are the cause of this issue. And since Realtek is one of the most well-known producers of audio drivers, “Realtek(R) audio not working” is a common problem encountered by customers. As a result, we reveal the solutions in this post that you can use if your device’s Realtek audio driver is not working.
To discover the repair that works for you, you simply need to work your way down the fixes offered in the segment below. One of these approaches will undoubtedly resolve the Realtek audio driver issue.
Fix Realtek Audio Driver not Working Issue on Windows 10/11
Here are the quick and easy solutions for Realtek audio driver not working problems on Windows 10.
Solution 1: Check The Connection & Volume
You may find this solution quite silly, but many times we forget to connect the audio device properly to our PC. And hence despite having appropriate drivers, we face the Realtek audio not working issue. So, before proceeding with any advanced method, we should first check the connection of our Realtek audio device with our computer, whether cable or wireless connection.
Sometimes we also forget to increase the volume of our PC audio after muting it. So, along with the connection, one should also check the volume of the sound devices. If all these things are fine, and you are still facing the Realtek(R) audio not working issue, then you can proceed with the other solutions mentioned here.
Solution 2: Configure Windows Audio Service
If you know a little about Windows PCs, then you may know how vital are Windows services for the functioning of any software or hardware. For the working of audio devices, audio service should be appropriate. Hence, if the Realtek audio device is not working on your PC, then there might be some issue with the Windows Audio Service of your system. You have to configure it to fix the problem. Here is how you can do it.
- Open the Windows Run utility by pressing the Windows + R Key simultaneously.
- After that, you have to type ‘services.msc’ in the text box and click the OK button.
- Go to Windows Audio and right-click on it.
- Select Properties.
- In the General tab, set the Startup type as Automatic.
- Now, click on the Start button.
- And at last, select Apply and then finish the configuration by clicking on OK.
Solution 3: Update Windows
It might be possible that the Realtek audio driver is not compatible with your outdated version of the Windows operating system. If that’s the case, then you have to update Windows to resolve the ‘Realtek audio driver not working’ issue. Here are the steps that you have to follow to do so.
- Open the Settings window of your operating system. You can do it by right-clicking the Start icon and choosing the Settings option.
- Now, go to the Updates & Security settings option and click on it.
- From the left menu, choose Windows update.
- Now, check for the available updates by clicking on the Check for updates option.
If there is an update available for your operating system, it will get downloaded and installed automatically. You should monitor the whole process and provide the required permissions to Windows.
Solution 4: Disable Audio Enhancements
Audio enhancement features of the Windows operating system help to enhance the quality of sound. But they are not compatible with all the audio drivers. Hence, if your Realtek audio driver does not support the audio enhancement features of Windows, then you may face the Realtek driver, not working problems. So, we suggest you try disabling the audio enhancements and check if it resolves the issue. You can do it by these steps.
- Use the Windows search function to open Control Panel.
- Now, click on Sound.
- Right-click on the default audio device in the Playback tab.
- Click on the Properties option.
- Now go to the Enhancements tab and mark the Disable all sound effects option.
Solution 5: Repair Realtek Audio Driver
If you have tried all the above methods and the ‘Realtek (R) audio not working’ issue still prevails, then you must repair your Realtek audio driver. But, first of all, check whether the problem is related to the audio driver or not. You can do this by following these instructions.
- Open the Device Manager. You can do it in the same way as we have opened the Control Panel, i.e., by using the Windows search function.
- Then locate & expand the Sound, video, and game controllers categories.
- Check whether the Realtek driver is showing the yellow exclamation mark or not. If it is, then there is an issue with the Realtek audio driver, and you have to repair it.
You can repair the audio driver and resolve the Realtek driver not working problem by the following methods.
Solution 6: Reinstall the Realtek audio driver
Simply uninstalling the driver and then installing it again can fix the Realtek audio driver not working problem. Here’s how to do it.
- Press the Windows logo and R keys together to open the Run box.
- In the Run box, type devmgmt.msc and select OK to launch Device Manager.
- Locate and expand the category.
- First of all, you have to right-click on Realtek High Definition Audio in the expanded category of audio drivers. Then after that, from the drop-down menu, you have to opt for the Uninstall device option.
- A dialog box comes up on the screen; checkmark “Delete the driver software for this device.”
- Click on Uninstall.
- Lastly, restart the PC.
Hopefully, the Realtek high-definition audio not working problem is now resolved. If not, then move on to the next solution.
Solution 7: Try disabling the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver
In many cases, a conflict between Microsoft UAA Bus Driver and Realtek high definition audio driver also results in the latter not working. Therefore, you need to disable the UAA Bus Driver by following the below steps.
- Evoke Device Manager by implementing the first step of solution no. 6.
- Expand the section titled System devices.
- Right-click on the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver and choose the Disable option.
- Reboot your computer.
Solution 8: Automatically Update Drivers via Bit Driver Updater
Now comes the ultimate way to solve all driver-related issues. Simply get Bit Driver Updater and put all your worries to rest. This best driver updater upgrades drivers, tweaks, and speeds up the PC’s performance. Let’s discuss some of its outstanding features.
- Automatically updates all the worn-out, corrupt, and missing drivers in a single click.
- Lets you create a driver backup and restore it whenever required.
- There is support for multiple languages and all the latest Windows versions.
- It elevates the PC’s performance by approximately 50%.
- Download WHQL-certified driver versions on your PC.
- It fixes even the most annoying errors.
- Allows you to schedule the PC scan according to your comfort and preferences.
The above was just a quick view of the benefits of Quick Driver Updater. You’ll know more once you start using it. Thus, get this wonderful utility and resolve all the issues, including the Realtek HD audio manager mic not working on Windows 10.
Also know: Free Audio Sound Equalizer For Windows
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. What is Realtek high-definition audio on my PC?
In the most simple terms, Realtek high definition audio is a sound card manufactured by the world’s pioneer semiconductor company Realtek. And Realtek high definition audio driver is the mediator that helps it to communicate with the computer and execute your instructions. If there is no driver, then you may face serious audio problems on the PC.
Q2. How do I activate the Realtek HD audio driver?
You can follow these steps to activate or enable the Realtek HD audio driver on your PC.
- Evoke the Device Manager.
- Expand the Sound, video, and game controllers.
- Right-click on the Realtek HD audio device and select Enable from the available options.
Q3. Why is my Realtek audio not working?
Your Realtek high-definition audio may not be working because of any of the following reasons.
- The audio device is not connected correctly.
- Outdated audio driver.
- Issues with your operating system.
- Incorrectly installed audio driver.
- Compatibility issues between Realtek audio driver and audio enhancements.
Q4. How do I fix my Realtek audio driver?
You can follow the detailed guide shared above to fix the Realtek audio driver issues. However, in our view, updating the drivers with Bit Driver Updater is the best solution to this problem, as in most cases, it results from out-of-date drivers. And Bit Driver Updater not only updates drivers but also fixes many problems caused by outdated drivers.
Solved: Realtek Audio Driver is not Working on Windows 10/11
Listed above are a few quick fixes for the Realtek audio driver not working on Windows 10. We hope the problem is now resolved. To ensure that you never experience such issues, we advise you to constantly keep your drivers up to date using the best driver update software. Last but not least, before saying goodbye, subscribe to our Blog for more straightforward tech updates and solutions.