We offer all the information you need if you’re looking for an IDM substitute. For Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS devices, a list of the best IDM alternatives is provided in this article.
One of the most well-known download managers for Windows is IDM (Internet Download Manager). With the help of the tool, you may control and speed up the download of any file that is being downloaded through a browser by pausing, playing, and restarting it. Right after its release, the software became well-known, and it has continued to be so. Although the IDM has significant drawbacks. The first is that the software is exclusive to Windows. The second is that in order to access all of the functions of the software, you must have a current subscription. Many people are bothered by these faults. Here are some of the best IDM alternatives for Windows, Android, iOS, and Mac if you fall into that category.
10 Best IDM Alternatives for Windows, Android, Mac, and iOS
Here are some of the best IDM alternatives for Windows, Android, Mac, and iOS devices that work just like IDM, if not better than that.
1. Free Download Manager (FDM)
The first software in our list of the best IDM alternatives is the Free Download Manager (FDM). What makes FDM the best is its built-in torrent client support system. You can download torrent files along with others with the help of FDM. The software has a cross-platform that allows you to use it on Windows, Android, and macOS. One of the best features of any good download manager is the ‘preview’. FDM also allows you to preview files before downloading them.
Features of Free Download Manager (FDM):
- The FDM comes with a download acceleration system that splits the files into different sections and downloads them one at a time.
- You may face download failure problems on normal browsers and software. But, FDM resumes the download at the same point from where it failed.
- One of the best features of the software is that you can schedule the download for a later time.
- The interface of the software supports different languages that, include English, Macedonian, Serbian, Albanian, Croatian, Korean, Arabic, etc.
- You can download FDM, the completely secure and open-source alternative manager, for free.
Here comes another great download manager for you. FlashGet is a clean, fast, free download manager and the best IDM alternative for Windows. What makes FlashGet better is its 10 times download speed as compared to any other manager. And here’s the best part, after the download is complete, the software runs an antivirus program automatically to protect your system.
Features of FlashGet:
- FlashGet supports and integrates with different popular and unpopular browsers, including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, etc.
- Previously known as Jet Car, FlashGet has an integrated antivirus program to protect you from threats, viruses, and more.
- Just like any effective download manager, FlashGet also provides an option to download multiple files in a batch.
- The only disadvantage of FlashGet that I can think of is that it is not cross-platformed. It is available for Windows devices only.
- One of the greatest advantages of the download manager is that it supports multiple protocols without affecting the processor.
3. Ninja Download Manager
The next best IDM alternative for Mac is the Ninja Download Manager. This program for Windows and macOS is loaded with a lot of different features and settings. The software allows you to pause and resume downloads or schedule them at your convenience. What makes it even better is its fast downloading speed which goes up to 20 times faster than any other similar software.
Features of Ninja Download Manager:
- The software allows you to preview files beforehand so that you can confirm that you want to download them.
- Here’s the best part, with the help of NDM, you can drag and drop the files you want to download.
- You can download one or more files in a batch with a single click through the NDM.
- If your system runs on limited data, you can queue and schedule the downloads according to your convenience.
- A unique trait of the NDM is that it allows you to limit the download speed of different downloads.
4. JDownloader 2
JDownloader 2 is a great download manager for new users. What makes it a great IDM alternative for Linux and other OS is its download search feature. The JDownloader 2 searches for content on a website and downloads them easily. The base of JD 2 is open source, which means you can edit its coding as and when you want. What makes it even better is its multi-stream compatibility which allows you to download multiple files from different sources.
Features of JDownloader 2:
- As you may already know, some websites ask for captcha inputs. JDownloader has a built-in captcha reader that allows you to download files freely.
- The software is built on a cross-platform structure, which means that you can download and install it on different OS. JD 2 is a great IDM alternative for Ubuntu as well.
- One of the best features of JD 2 is that you can download multiple files in a batch at once.
- If you are downloading files from platforms like YouTube, the app provides multiple format options for you.
- JDownloader 2 automatically extracts the downloaded files and provides them at your disposal.
Mortix is another best IDM alternative that is similar to IDM yet better. This simple and clear download manager provides everything you need from an effective download managing tool. One of the best features of the Motrix software is the ability to map UPnP & NAT-PMP Port. Whether you want to download a normal file, torrent, or magnet, you can do all that through Motrix.
Features of Motrix:
- The interface of the software is quite clear, intuitive, and simple to use for all kinds of users.
- Just like the BitTorrent app or software, Motrix also allows you to download selective files in a torrent, ZIP, etc.
- The attractive interface of the software provides a graphic representation of the download status. This feature is not available in every software.
- Whenever a download is complete, you get real-time notifications about the same.
- The interface of the software is visible in over 15 different languages. Select the one you want.
Also know: Top Free TeamViewer Alternatives
6. Xtreme Download Manager
Xtreme Download Manager, or XDM, is a very sophisticated and intuitive software that provides tons of services. What brought this app to this list of the best IDM alternatives is its download speed. When compared with other similar apps, XDM provides over 500% more download speed to you. If you are streaming any video, you can download the same with the help of this tool very easily.
Features of Xtreme Download Manager:
- You can download broken or failed downloads right from the last point with the help of Xtreme.
- The software is cross-platformed, which means that you can use it on macOS, Windows, Linux, and other operating systems.
- Whether you are using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Vivaldi, or any other browser. You can use the Xtreme Download Manager to manage all downloads.
- You can limit the speed of downloads as you want to download important files quickly.
- One of the best traits of the XDM is that it allows you to schedule or manage a queue of downloads effectively.
7. Internet Download Accelerator (IDA)
Whenever it comes to the best download managers, IDA is a repeated name. IDA provides everything speed, broken download resuming, and manages downloads. The software is quite similar to IDM, yet better. What makes IDA the best IDM alternative is its trait that allows you to download audio and video from different platforms. The integrated Active Visual Cart system of IDA allows you to work on the program without opening anything else.
Features of Internet Download Accelerator (IDA):
- One of the best features of IDA is that you can preview the files even in ZIP folders.
- You change and apply different skins for your IDA and customize the appearance as you like.
- Whether it is YouTube or any other video service, you can download high-quality videos from such platforms.
- The software helps you in resuming downloading, even if it fails or breaks in between. You can resume the download despite HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP servers.
- The interface of the software is intuitive and user-friendly for ease. Both beginners and professionals can work on the software easily.
8. uGet Download Manager
If you are looking for the best free IDM alternatives for Windows, Mac, Linux, or other platforms, you should consider getting the uGet Download Manager. What made it score a position in this article is its extensive multi-connection downloads. The software supports up to 16 different connections to provide more download speed for your data. You do not need any other website or app to download videos from YouTube, as uGet has that feature inbuilt.
Features of uGet Download Manager:
- The download manager can be integrated with Google Chrome, Opera, Firefox, Vivaldi, and other Chromium browsers.
- uGet provides you with multiple settings options like UI, bandwidth, media website, plug-ins, and others to provide all the power you want.
- You can add files to the Clipboard Monitor of the software and decide whether you want to download them later.
- The interface of the software is visible in over 30 different languages for ease of access to users around the globe.
- uGet Download Manager supports multiple keyboard shortcuts that ease your workflow.
Also know: Top Password Manager Software for Windows 10
aria2 is a lightweight download management utility for Windows, macOS, Android, and Linux. The software works very smoothly and provides all the services just like any other similar utility. Aria supports multiple protocols at once, which allows it to provide the best download speed for your files. If you do not want any download manager to take up space on your system, you should download aria2.
Features of aria2:
- The aria2 download utility supports Metalink-enabled downloads.
- With the help of BitTorrent Client support, the software allows you to download files from torrent servers.
- The software is so lightweight that it occupies space in just a couple of MBs.
- aria2 supports remote control from different locations to keep an eye on and manage different processes.
- Although the software is lightweight, it still supports different languages, including Arabic, English, Hindi, Dutch, Polish, etc.
10. Turbo Download Manager
Turbo Download Manager is a new addition to the list of download managers. The software has worked its way to the top very quickly. Turbo is one of the best free IDM alternatives for Android, Windows, Linux, macOS, etc. What makes the software effective is that it divides the downloading file into different sections. As these sections are downloaded one by one, it provides the option to resume downloads in case it breaks in between.
Features of Turbo Download Manager:
- You download more than one file from different sources in a single queue with the help of TDM.
- The coding of the software is kept open-source, which means that you can edit and modify them as you want.
- If you do not want an app for your device, you can also add an extension for Turbo Download Manager for your browser.
- You can preview the files before and while downloading for your peace of mind.
- One of the best features of TDM is that it provides fresh download links if the download fails mid-way.
Concluding the Best IDM Alternatives for Windows, Mac, and Other OS
These are some of the best free IDM alternatives for Windows, Mac, Android, Linux, iOS, and other operating systems. These programs are similar to IDM and offer a lot more capabilities than the original. These apps let you regulate and even set a download speed limit while bulk-downloading files from various sources. Even though some of these programs have a commercial version, you can still use them without paying anything.
All of these tools download files in bits, which makes it easier to continue or resume the download from where it left off. Since the bits are already there, downloading them again takes far less time. Examine each IDM substitute’s review before downloading the one that best suits your needs.
Please use the comment area below to contact us with any further questions or information. Join our blog today if you enjoyed this article and want to read more like it!